(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Jan 11 14:56:45 PST 2011

On 1/11/2011 4:01 PM, Jordon Flato wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM, DAVID STOCKHOFF <dstockhoff at verizon.net
> <mailto:dstockhoff at verizon.net>> wrote:
>
>     Yet Severian refers to the forests of Lune, not the green domes of Lune.
>

> Where does this idea of domes on Lune come from?

I was looking at the pages and pages of gymnastics in LEXICON URTHUS
trying to explain how Lune could have an atmosphere to support forests
and how it could be moved in its orbit, and then I thought of the
Botanic Gardens writ large.

The glass and initial oxygen could be made cheaply onsite from regolith
by colonizers, who would live underground for radiation protection with
greenhouses on top.  Eventually these would scale up into more efficient
domed enclosures, so you could easily have domes large enough to contain
bona fide forests along with your crops. As the colonies spread, Lune's
face turns green.  It doesnt have to be totally forested to be called
green, anymore than the earth needs to be totally covered with water to
look like "a big blue marble" or a "pale blue dot" when viewed from space.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >