(urth) Recent human crash-landing on Sainte-Anneþ

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Jan 11 12:47:02 PST 2011

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>Antonio Pedro Marques: >>In that regard, what can you counter to Gerry's
>>Daleks except for the impression that Gerry doesn't believe them one bit?
>
> I noticed a thread about Daleks but I didn't read any of it so I can't
> really comment. Gerry used the term once
> or twice in a different post so maybe I understand his intention. I
> remember once a long time ago when I was
> in a college philosophy course, one student asserted to the class that he
> knew he had a soul. I countered by
> asserting I had an invisible turnip in my kidney. The class laughed. The
> other student felt bad. I felt bad.
> I should have asked him more about what he knew, rather than make fun of
> him. I have grown wiser and kinder
> since those days. I am more aware that what I don't know can be as
> important as what I do know and that other
> people's thoughts and feelings are as valid as my own. I recommend this
> direction in personal growth as a
> human being.

One can also imagine a scenario in which someone claims to have an invisible
turnip in his kidney, and when others doubt this assertion, he insists that
they are attacking his soul.

Of course it is not nice to have our theories confounded.  Those who
proposed that certain vaccines caused autism were subjected to some quite
stinging criticism.  Presumably the critics insisted that they were right
and the proponents of the vaccine-autism theory wrong.  Horribly rude of
them, eh?

- Gerry Quinn