(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 11:37:23 PST 2011

> From: Adam Thornton <adam at io.com>

> On Jan 11, 2011, at 12:53 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
>
> > It matters if  the Whorl is a hollowed out lune.
>
> But isn't the Whorl sort of  cigar-shaped?  You know, kind of like an
>artificial phallus filled with a  liquid that will enable memories to be
>transplanted from host to host if used in  conjunction with the memories'
>bearers' DNA  ?

Sometimes a starship is just a starship.  (But see Vonnegut's story in Again,
Dangerous Visions.)

Seriously, I wonder whether Wolfe's comment was metaphorical or thematic.  Urth
is Green in the same sense that people say a city is a jungle?

Is there anything interesting in the fact that Silkhorn tries to think about
Sinew and ends up seeing that rebellious but responsible and enterprising lad
Severian?

Jerry Friedman
Well I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun.