(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Jan 11 10:49:17 PST 2011

> Well, Lune is a problem.  There are two or three things
> that keep coming back to haunt me.  One is Apheta peering
> down from Lune, the other is its change to verdancy and
> Rudesind's claim that it is closer (or bigger?).

Is it likely that Wolfe had even thought of Blue and Green when he wrote
BotNS and UotNS?

> > Another is the quote below, where the whorl is described thusly:
>
> --- On Tue, 1/11/11, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Then there's this: "I'd like to show you Green," Jahlee
> > explained to him. "it's the whorl on which I was born
> > and on which I grew up, just as your father was born and
> > grew up on that little white one he tries to point out to
> > you sometimes." (IGJ 339) This shows us the whorl is
> > white and visible in the sky.
>
> But can an asteroid ever be a satellite?  I don't know, then
> we have to go against the definition that the whorl is a
> hollowed out asteroid if they are actually significantly different,
> the kind of semantic arguments I DON'T like, (tusks
> and horns being another - taxonomy is blurry in fiction
> sometimes, but not always.)  Then we have to ask, where
> does the glossary of Long Sun come from?  Is it from the
> fallible horn or the infallible Wolfe?  ugh.

A satellite of a body is just something that orbits that body.  The Moon is
a satellite of Earth.

As for the orbit of the Whorl, I don't think we know much about the details
of its orbit (or indeed the orbital details of Green and Blue).  Perhaps it
only comes close to Blue sometimes.  I don't know that it matters,

- Gerry Quinn