(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 20:24:48 PST 2011

sigh ... I sent Gene a christmas card with eyes in a tree, a long haired man with a staff which I drew a face on, and  a letter that pretty much said where I was interpretationally with everything, from Horn in Silk to trees eating things and spitting out hybrids, but I said, I just can't get a direct mechanism to make Blue Urth in those scenes, does he pass through the same boundary the ship in Urth of the New Sun does to arrive in the past?  There WAS no mechanismfor the transfer to Blue, but these images of time and "don't listen to my words" etc and the hybridization to make a vegetable human cross were so Green Man resonant I knew this was the future Urth thematically, I was sure Gene had hidden who what when where and why for this book as his starting point.  On the back of his card to me, gene wrote "no,no,NO! Green is URTH!!!"  I knew I didn't have a mechanism for the transfer, I know Gene's rules.  He told me that, and I saw Silk's mechanism for
 the transfer right there, he thought about Green before the evil.  Those mechanisms don't just show up from metaphor.

He does not want to expand on it, was sorry he told me, asked me not to share it, but Gevers had taken some steps in subborning the information out of me and contacting Gene right away, so between the Gevers and I we pretty much shut down on any further comment on the issue, and Gene expressed a wish that it not be shared further.  Metaphors don't have textual mechanisms, which is all I'm saying.

Of course, this time Gene hid the truth so well, even when people hear it nobody believes it.  wow.