(urth) Recent human crash-landing on Sainte-Anneþ

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 14:08:53 PST 2011

> From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>

> >But a theory which contradicts some aspect of the text is  _not_ such a
>theory. A theory that says that,
>
> >clearly, the Lady came out  of the door is reasonable. A theory that says the
>Tiger came out of the door
>
> >is also reasonable. But a theory that says the Daleks came out of the  door
>and exterminated the young man,
>
> >the princess, and the king, is  _not_ reasonable (though it is amusing).
>
> Yep agreed. But that was  Stockton's version. What if Gene Wolfe had written
>it? Are there ambiguous  SF/Fantasy
> answers that would serve given the sorts of clues Wolfe would  provide? How
>about a woman in a lifelike tiger suit?
>
> Maybe a female  weretiger created by Father Inire? (not good examples but the
>best I can do  right now)
>
> We all agree that Daleks coming out is not a reasonable  answer. So, by
>accusing someone of theorizing
>
> Daleks when they have proposed  a lady weretiger, we have a psychological ploy
>designed to discredit the person,
>
> and leave the idea of complex ambiguity unexamined.

But when someone says as a theoretical generalization that there's no
falsifiability in interpreting fiction, that person does imply that Daleks are
just as good an interpretation as any other.  And quite possibly we have a
psychological ploy designed to discredit people who make objections they
consider valid.

Jerry Friedman