(urth) Thea and Thecla

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 10 05:01:37 PST 2011

>David Stockhoff: Jordan, you made an excellent point about the narrator trying to keep
>his narrative straight from Severian's point of view....This needed clarity of narrative may
>be another reason why Wolfe makes Severian's memory so strong....However, enough mystery must
>remain about some of them..that he can still recall and almost convincingly relate his original naive
>experience.

I think this is a very good analysis. And it is not only relevant to SF and brain-eating characters.
We all have childhood and youthful memories and we all know what it is like to have a doubled
perception; how we thought and felt then vs. how we think and feel now.

I'll note that Mantis once posted a nice summary of how BotNS paralleled Gene Wolfe's life. As he
wrote this book, he himself was facing the story-telling problems Severian was facing. We have all told
stories of our youth so we all know (if we are good story-tellers) that it would ruin the story to
constantly, repeatedly interupt the story events with "well, of course now I know that...".

We are not all good story tellers but we are all experienced story readers/listeners. A good author
acknowledges and uses that fact.