(urth) The Daleks of Saltimbanque Street

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Jan 9 08:52:49 PST 2011

Gene Wolfe's tripartite novel, _The Fifth Head of Cerberus_, has excited and
exasperated all those who have tried to interpret it in the thirty years
since it was written.  The mystery is at last resolved!  Wolfe, in his
inimitable style, has cunningly reflected stories and themes from the
popular BBC serial, Doctor Who.

The central character is presented obliquely.  We learn of a Doctor (of
anthropology, the study of humankind) about whom the central issue is a
question of identity.  Cleverly, Wolfe has created a literal Doctor Who,
without once mentioning the name.  (In case some readers missed the clues,
Wolfe later matches him with a young - though male -companion, and makes it
clear that he has recently undergone a regeneration.)

Less obscure are the identities of characters in the house at 666
Saltimbanque Street, where our story commences.  The house is presided over
by Maitre, whose frenchified name does little to hide his identity as Doctor
Who's arch-enemy, renegade timelord The Master.  His character is soon
eastablished as he rants about his "failure to rule even this miserable
colony planet" - as always, the Master intends to rule the entire Universe.

Other characters we meet here are Number Five, a clone of the Master, and
Mr. Million, also apparently a clone of the Master, but encapsulated in a
sort of mobile mechanical casing.  Mr. Million is obviously a Dalek, or a
prototype of one.  But what are we to make of the numbers?  The most obvious
explanation is that Mr. Million represents one of the countless Dalek
footsoldiers who will soon emerge to conquer the universe, whereas Number
Five is being groomed for a position of authority.  Already, though, the
Master drugs and torments Number Five nightly, beginning the process of
transforming him from a seemingly normal human being into one of the insane
hate-filled creatures that animates the shell of every Dalek, even the
golden-shelled ruling class.

Another person here is David, a transparent soubriquet for a young clone of
Davros, creator of the Daleks in the original series.  Although seemingly on
an equal footing with Number Five, David/Davros is not experimented on by
the Master to anything like the same degree.  Wolfe does not elaborate on
this aspect of the plot, but it's clear that the Master and Davros have
teamed up to create an army of world-ravaging Daleks.  Who will stop them?

Enter the Doctor, who arrives one night at Saltimbanque Street and is let in
by Number Five.  Five is suspicious of him, but the Doctor ably deflects his
prying questions, and asks instead to speak to the person he has come to
see, 'Aunt Jeannine', otherwise known as anthropologist Aubrey Veil.
Jeannine is an early victim of the Master's experiments - she has been
fitted with a prototype Dalek drive which allows her to glide around the
house well enough, but renders her crippled outside.  Unbowed by this
horrible fate, she has hit upon the ruse of anthropological discussions to
contrive an excuse for the Doctor to enter the Master's domain.  Number Five
is sent away while the Doctor and Jeannine discuss how to stop the Master's
dastardly plans.

In the end, it is Number Five whom the Doctor and Jeannine use to foil the
Master.  As a Master clone, Five is already naturally primed to demand
supreme power for himself at any cost, and the Doctor and Jeannine cleverly
exploit this.  Number Five is already motivated by ambition and resentment
of the Master's experiments.  When Jeannine tells him of the Master's hidden
wealth, his emotions boil over and he resolves to kill the Master.  The
Master realises he ihis becoming a threat, and (ironically) calls in the
Doctor, who he believes to be an ordinary anthropologist, to reason with
him.

In the climax, the Doctor - who abhors killing - does indeed try to reason
with both Number Five and the Master.  But it is too late.  Number Five
sends him away and murders the Master, he is then arrested by the police.
The threat to the universe is resolved.  Aunt Jeannine lives on at 666
Saltimbanque St., keeping Dalek prototype Mr. Million as a servant.  [Of
course, the Master never truly dies - at the end, Number Five is back
preparing new plots for future episodes.]

We have come to the end of the first and original novella, of which the
complete novel is an expansion.  As a Doctor Who story, it is also by far
the most standard in construction.  In the third novella, VRT, Wolfe plays
with the concept, combining two typical Whovian tropes and, in a bow to the
episodic nature of the original series, ending in a cliffhanger rather than
a firm conclusion [VRT probably stands for Vestibular Rehabilitation
Therapy, an acronym for medical treatments intended to restore balance].

In VRT, we alternate between present and past on the twin planets.  In the
present, the Doctor is immured in a sinister prison controlled by the brutal
police force of Sainte Croix.  It is suggested that he is under suspicion
for the murder of the Master in the first episode - yet we know that Number
Five has already been sentenced.  An alternate timeline, perhaps?  There are
hints that all is not as it seems - the three 'brothers' who arrest him, one
of whom has apparently had a brain operation... Cybermen?  It is unclear
just which enemies the Doctor is facing.  Perhaps Wolfe has purposely
created ambiguity here in order to point to the recurring tropes of the
series, in which the Doctor is forever imprisoned and escaping, forever
battling enemies whose nature is recurrent though different in detail.  We
are introduced to Celestine, whom we are given to understand will somehow
escape with him and become his Companion for the next series, but little in
the way of detail plot is provided.

The rest of VRT is a similarly oblique and incomplete tale, in which the
Doctor appears on Sainte Anne, claiming to have travelled by starcrosser
from Earth (a likely story!).  He adopts a young male companion - and as
with Celestine Etienne, Wolfe does not shy away from the notion of sexual
attraction, heterosexual or otherwise, between the Doctor and Companion,
something which the BBC has shied away from until the recent reboot.  Like
the BBC, however, Wolfe is never explicit on this aspect, which would be
disruptive to the main Whovian themes if placed too muych in the foreground.
With his companion, the Doctor explores the wilderness of Sainte Anne.
There is some disaster - as in the 'present' sequences of VRT, we are never
shown what.  The Companion dies and the Doctor regenerates.  And this very
regeneration feeds back into the central myster of Who's identity (if any)
and is the reason he is imprisoned in the 'present' sequencves of VRT.  The
'past' sequences have no middle but an ending, the present sequences have no
ending but are all middle.  Indeed, in VRT Wolfe has presented an intriguing
confection which riffs on the instability of Story when time travel is in
play, viewed from the perspective of a central character who is an immortal
shapechanging alien who cannot die (one student of Wolfe has observed that
this is a central theme of much of his work).

 What are we to make of the second novella, though?  Neither Doctor Who not
the Master appear here, though apparently it is a story (or legend) of the
past of Sainte Anne, as told by the Doctor.

We must remember the genesis of _Fifth Head_.  Wolfe originally wrote the
first, and most simply constructed novella, as a tribute to the BBC serial.
Then his editor asked him to expand it to novel length.  Wolfe obliged, and
the third novella, VRT, moves on from standard plots into an extended
meditation on themes of time and identity.  But still we have rather a short
novel.  Wolfe resorts to a technique he has used repeatedly elsewhere, which
if used by a lesser author we might call 'padding'.  He includes a story, as
usual a dreamlike legend of earlier times, whose direct connection with the
plot is obscure, but which touches lightly on themes in the surrounding
novel.  Often such stories are included by means of a storytelling contest,
or an ancient book read by one of the characters - here Wolfe has the Doctor
tell the story, perhaps describing a time when he visited pre-discovery
Sainte Anne in his Tardis.  Themes of cloned twins amd other concepts found
in the other novellas are prominent.  In VRT we see hints that some of the
characters live on after the colonisation of Sainte Anne, but they seem to
have no more direct connection with the characters of the other novellas
than do Fish and Frog in the legents incorporated in Book of the New Sun.

All in all, _Fifth Head_ is quintessential Wolfe, taking tropes from the
pulp fiction or media of the day but putting them to novel use.  Even now
that the puzzles which have perplexed so many are solved once and for all, I
am sure it will continue to be the subject of intense discussion, as new
aspects of the Doctor are teased out from its complex and intertwined
stories.

- Gerry Quinn