(urth) interview questions

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 7 14:18:50 PST 2011

> Just really quickly, I think Wolfe does this in Long Sun, especially with regards to Crane's lame physical cause to Silk's original enlightenment, which seems like such a dumb idea until you realize he could have been programmed for such an information hemorrhage.

Marc, I should have brought this up earlier when you first raised this
theory, but I have a couple of worries about it. I'm fine with the
general idea - surely the Outsider works through natural as well as
supernatural causes. But can it be squared with Wolfe's statement that
Silk's enlightenment was purely miraculous?  And if it's right, how
does Pike fit into the story? Silk's enlightenment was meant to be an
answer to his prayer. Is that still possible if it was preprogrammed?