(urth) Threadtiquette

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jan 7 13:22:55 PST 2011

"Waiting your turn to speak" seems like a fairly outmoded metaphor to
deploy in the context of an email forum. You may as well say it's like
holding a peace pipe.

I think this whole debate is a version of the toilet paper debate, i.e.,
whether to place the roll so that it unrolls over or under. Another
example might be whether to open a boiled egg at the wide end or the
small end.

And we all know how that turned out.

Once again: Please top-post, everyone. Not only do I hate scrolling down
through text I have already read to see people's new remarks, but it is
what civilized people do.

On 1/7/2011 3:57 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM, David Stockhoff<dstockhoff at verizon.net>  wrote:
>> So then bottom-posting is qualitatively like whispering in a common meeting
>> area? This seems equally problematic. In fact, that is exactly what I don't
>> like about bottom-posting.
> No; it's more like waiting your turn to speak.
>
> What it _acutally_ is, though, is respecting your audience, by helping
> them to see the context in which you are writing. Contrariwise,
> wholesale top-posting is telling your audients that you do not care
> whether they can glerk the context of your statements.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110107-0, 01/07/2011
Tested on: 1/7/2011 4:22:55 PM