(urth) interview questions

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Jan 7 09:47:39 PST 2011

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>>But imagine if an ordinary character proposed the correct answer earlier
>>on - it would ruin the book!
>
> Hardly. The obvious proof is 5HoC which has not been ruined. And Aunt
> Jeannine/Aubrey Veil is hardly an
> "ordinary" character. She is the perfect synthesis of science and
> intuition, male cloned into female form.
> Only she has the necessary components to understand the truth about
> herself and everyone around her. You can
> hardly expect blundering, testosterone-laden males to figure out the truth
> by themselves. And they don't. They
> are too busy trying to kill each other, imprison each other or act out
> juvenile carnal fantasies.

The idea that all the characters are native Annese who think they are human
is quite untenable.  Therefore Veil's Hypothesis is wrong.

>>But we KNOW when the Sandwalker scene occurs - it is at the period of the
>>French landings, c. 150 years before
>>the events of the first and third novellas.
>
> How do you know this? Is there any French spoken in "A Story"? I don't
> think so. The astronauts at the end offer
> to shake hands not kisses on the cheek.  I think you have piled a lot
> ofyour theory on unsubstantiated
> assumptions.

This gets silly.  For a start, we know the apparent discoverers, that is to
say the discoverers in known history, were French.  We know the names of
Eastwind and  Sandwalker persisted (albeit slightly corrupted) in colonist
lore, and other events too such as the finding of Lastvoice's corpse.  Even
the language difference is noted.  And, for the record, their hand gesture
is described as showing that they were carrying no weapons, not an invation
to shake hands.