(urth) Reptiles

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 07:26:53 PST 2011

>David Stockhoff: I think that is basically what Lee is saying in his retraction, and I
>agree, especially when the situation allows for some slippage (e.g., 20,000  years have passed).

Well, to clarify further, if I'm watching TV and a chimpanzee is shown and somebody says, "oh
what a cute monkey!" I may or may not say, "ape, actually", depending on who is speaking.

When I read Robinson Crusoe or some other old book and a character remarks, "the ape didst gnaw
upon its own tail", I can appreciate the archaic use of the word. And I think maybe Wolfe was
going for that sort of usage to go along with his other archaic terms and names rather than
making a linnaean error.