(urth) Dan'l! (was: Re: It's getting hard...)

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Thu Jan 6 15:43:20 PST 2011

On 05/01/11 17:44, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> ...for me to tell who's looking for truth and who's just trying to win.
>
> If you're just trying to win (and note that this is addressed to
> nobody in particular), please shut up.

Have had to shut up for a week or so for reasons unconnected to the
list, but have to say Dan'l, I have some sympathy with your frustration.
This isn't a competition ... is it? if it *is*, I think  potential
listmembers need some kind of heads up before they join :) All I ever
wanted to do here was to bounce ideas off other Sun-cycle mavens. Some
of the 'tudes I've seen, whether in discussion I've participated in, or
in catching-up time (of which I have a great deal to do most times given
personal cirx) suggest some on here do actually regard this listserv as
a competition. One or two even seem to think that there is some ultimate
religious truth in question here.

How anyone can think they are 'right' when discussing the literary work
of a writer who does not choose to participate himself in these
discussions is completely beyond me. GW is over eighty and so successful
as a writer that he doesn't need any of this stuff; he's definitely not
going to tell us word for word what is what. Given that - and I don't
think that's a stretch - what any of us think is as likely to be
plausible / interesting as what any other thinks. And regarding the
'religion' aspect, it's plain to me that some have forgotten that what
we are discussing here is a work, or works, of fiction; not a set of
texts competing, as at the Council of Nicea, for canonical status.

jd