(urth) interview questions

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 17:06:30 PST 2011

>Jerry Friedman: And I could believe the main purposes of "'A Story'" are to be
>interesting in itself and to reveal the character of the replacement Marsch.

Sounds right. Perhaps we could add that, as for the stories of Halvard, Foila and
Loyal to the Group of 17, the story also reveals life in the environment of the story
teller.

>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: That is a good answer to why _Wolfe_ put it there. But why did
>_"Marsch"_ write it?  Wolfe is too careful a writer (imo) to simply make such a
>"stylistic" decision and _not_ consider its "meaning."

At the lazaret we had the excuse of trying to win the hand of Foila for the storytelling.
Here I don't think we'll get as clear a texual meaning. Maybe VRT was doing his best to
play anthropologist, pretending to repeat a story which is, in fact, his own story.

Moreover, perhaps we should consider that this was one of WOlfe's earlier efforts. Perhaps
the story contest of BotNS was invented to address just such a weakness in 5HoC. Hm..now
I forget..what was the premise which generated the stories told in IGJ?