(urth) Wolfe and Gaiman

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 09:54:56 PST 2011

Gaiman's novels are hit-or-miss.  "Neverwhere" is decent enough, but way too
much of a "faerie story" for me, just like "Stardust."  "American Gods,"
however, is a damn fine novel.

I think Gaiman and Wolfe are part of a small group of authors that treat sf
as an actual literary movement instead of a genre, something that provides
them a chance to explore literature.  LeGuin, Mieville, Moorcok, etc., also
fit within this group of authors... pretty much anyone that appears on the
blurbs on the back of Wolfe books talking about how spectacular they are.

LH