(urth) interview questions

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 07:20:07 PST 2011

Gerry says, in regard to a 15 pound carcass:
"Because Wolfe's editor was sleeping on the job."

Once upon a time there was a line in wizardknight, that was something like "Garsceg is (someone else)......" something really, really straightforward but kind of strange in implication.  I pointed it out, because those are the sort of things I look for, and someone actually wrote to Hartwell to say it was a misprint, and it was at that point I decided, boy, it really doesn't pay to read closely for implication if surprising statements and their implications are just going to wind up being typos, and people will actually consult the editor to prove it.

The problem is Wolfe does like that accumulation of small details that seem unrelated to point to something, and its very hard to say what's an error and what is a clue (no one can deny there are puzzle like elements that are solvable in his fiction, from what he himself has said of Peace and 5hoC, and this is throughout his entire work).  But misprints and bad editorial mistakes are something else altogether.   For example, in castleview there is one point where a girl is in danger and the other girl is safe, and suddenly we are at the girl who is safe's funeral.  If someone where to say that were an editorial mistake on the names or something I would be devastated, because it says something important about what has been elided from the text.