(urth) a false coin

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 11:10:27 PST 2011

>Gerry Quinn: So why the insistence that this must not apply to Veil's Hypothesis?

See my last post. (and remember I am playing a role)

>David, I was reminded of an addition to our discussion of "Author as Demiurge": Gene Wolfe's
>home address on St. Croix is 666 Saltimbanque St.- the Satanic Performer

>David Stockhoff- How would you see that? Perhaps you are thinking of the author as acrobat or
>mountebank (that is, a hint that Wolfe is playing the trickster), but it could also mean that
>the existence of true evil is false: evil is a performance. or is evil in the act and not the
>intent? that might be overthinking.

No, not overthinking. Entirely and directly to the point, I think. We on this list have focused
on the principle of feigning goodness long enough that it becomes the truth. What about the reverse?
If someone feigns evil for long enough they become evil.

I am suggesting that Lucifer and Judas might be considered the truest and most faithful companions
of God and Jesus because they faithfully carried out their necessary roles, knowing what it would
do to them. What it would make them become.

*SPOILER* (for movie fans)

Just as we learn Severus Snape was Dumbledore's most faithful, trusted ally. More so even than
Harry Potter. Rowling may not be a Wolfe but she has certain mythological and story-telling
principles solidly in place.