(urth) Wolfe and Gaiman

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jan 2 17:51:23 PST 2011

On 1/2/2011 5:29 PM, Daniel Petersen wrote:
> I think Gaiman is just a huge Wolfe fan like the rest of us and Wolfe is
> nice enough to return the compliment to a certain degree.  But I can
> easily see how Gaiman is influenced by Wolfe's handling of ancient gods
> and heroism.  Gaiman has his own take on these themes in his American
> Gods and Anansi Boys.  Gaiman is very much the lesser writer and I think
> he'd probably acknowledge it.  Gaiman is great.  Wolfe is genius.
>
> Incidentally, you can see the same asymmetric relationship between
> Gaiman and his other genius hero, R. A. Lafferty.  Interesting that two
> lesser known but critically acclaimed Catholic authors have had such a
> profound and even 'fan-boy' influence on perhaps the most popular
> contemporary fantasy author (who is himself some sort of religious
> pluralist?).

Born Jewish, raised Scientologist, schooled Anglican, currently mentions
being Jewish but is otherwise unobservant judging by his blog.

Neil used to be part of the Wolfe topic on the old pre-internet GEnie
network where Mantiss and I hung out and was one of the first IIRC to
work out Number Five's name.

I would say that a typical Gaiman story is shorter and about 75% less
cryptic than a typical Wolfe story; within those constraints, they are
otherwise often similar to my eye.

You might be interested to follow Neil's testimony on his creative
process from recent litigation, it is not entirely unlike Wolfe's:

http://www.maggiethompson.com/2010/06/june-15-in-madison-with-neil-gaiman.html

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >