(urth) Wolfe covers

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 15:25:08 PST 2011

From: Son of Witz <Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>

> Re: Shirtless. Don Maitz's cover painting for the hardcover BotNS SF Book Club
>Edition shows
> his chest, in shadow.  Mostly you don't notice it, the cloak dominates.

Not a bad way to handle it, I think.

> It's a nice enough painting, but TE is held out like a throbbing hardon,

I though you might be exaggerating till I looked at the picture.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-New-Sun-Gene-Wolfe/dp/1568658079

> and Severian is framed by a huge full moon,

(Which is insufficiently green.  And where's the red sunlight?)

> which just seems like inapporopriate symbolic framing for the novel.

I agree.  And aha!  My copies of The Road to Corlay and A Tapestry of Time, the
first and third volumes of Richard Cowper's mostly delightful trilogy The White
Bird of Kinship, have white circles around the central characters' heads.

http://www.librarything.com/work/49009

The circles match nothing in the story, though the characters are sort of
saints.  Those covers too are by Don Maitz.

Jerry Friedman

From: Tony Ellis <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com>