(urth) Wolfe covers

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 13:16:02 PST 2011

From: Tony Ellis <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com>

> Hi Daniel,
> are you familiar with the bewitching covers Bruce Pennington did for
> the first British paperback edition of the New Sun tetralogy?

> If not, these clumsy, long-ago scans I did should give you taste:

> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ajellis/WolfeArt.htm
>
> The cover for Shadow, in particular, pretty much defines what I see in
> my head when I think of Urth.

Oh, goodness, not me, though I like them far better than the covers of the old
Timescape paperbacks I have.  But of course that's one of the problems--people
see books so differently that no illustrator could match everybody's
imaginations.

It's been customary for decades for fantasy covers to depict the hero shirtless,
even when he shouldn't be (as on the cover of my old copy of Hrolf Kraki's Saga,
by Poul Anderson).  Has anyone EVER done this for Severian?

Jerry Friedman