(urth) Wolfe covers

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 10:26:54 PST 2011

Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

> Still, I think it's an interesting point that we are apt to consider these
> images terribly naff in visual form and yet they are pretty much exactly
> what is described in the text.

No, no, that's the whole point.  They are not at all 'exactly what is
described in the text'.  To do that you would need a rather genius,
innovative, subtle, knowledgeable artist who knows the history of 'fantasy
painting' as it were and visually 'describes' these scenes in a way that
does justice to the way Wolfe treats traditional fantastic material.  His
prose is seriously some of the very best anyone is ever going to read, his
ideas and twisting of ideas are so thought-provoking.  The covers should
bring at least *something* of that out - or at the very least not point in
the exact opposite direction so that people expect... not just 'standard
fare' but *sub*standard fantasy tripe and trash!  I am utterly mortified to
be seen reading a book with the cover of OBW!

I mean, if one of Wolfe's biggest fans, Neil Gaiman, can have tasteful,
well-designed, stylish covers, why can't Wolfe?

By the bye, I would have no problem with the covers looking *intentionally*
kitschy and pulpy in a self-aware naff way that has some fun and ironic
class and... SKILL.  They could at least look like old Edgar Rice Burroughs
or Robert E. Howard or Michael Moorcock covers.  That would be an
improvement!

DOJP