(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: story with Gaiman

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Feb 19 20:24:57 PST 2011

On 2/19/2011 9:06 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>
>
>> Isn't it fairly likely that some of the sundial mottoes are actually
>> Latin, though?
>
> I don't think so. Most sundials we see today were made in modern times.
> They might have archaic mottoes put on them. Probably the same would be
> true of sundials in Severian's time.

That's what I mean; the Latin mottoes become traditional inscriptions
for sundials and are copied (with errors creeping in) on new sundials in
ages yet to come, like the Roman numerals on out contemporary clock
faces, which often include both IIII and IX for extra anachroistic flavor.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >