(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: story with Gaiman

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Feb 19 04:27:11 PST 2011

Funny that the guy who complained about Wolfe's use of Latin calls
himself Lepton. I am assuming he is not actually Greek, yet he
resurrects this archaic language and reuses its dead, worn-out words. ;)

I was interested to read this thought:

"Yes, I know what Latin is. What I'm saying is that the sword is not
actually called Terminus Est. It's name is actually in English, which to
Severian and the other characters is an ancient and defunct language. If
Wolfe gave us the actual name of the sword, it would convey to us the
meaning but not the sense. So Wolfe translates it to Latin."

We've had some debates about names and languages used (towns on the
Whorl, etc.). But I am not sure anyone has proposed that the dead
language is actually English, even though this would explain some of
Severian's linguistic explanations, among other things. There is
probably a limit to how literally one can take the idea, but generally
sense it works well and yet is not obvious. And of course it's another
puzzle of the simplest and most confounding kind.