(urth) On dream travellers

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 10:02:49 PST 2011

>James Wynn: A. Yes, but his meaning is not as simple as that, as is obvious in the
>fact that an astral body can bleed to death.

I am reminded of the BotNS story where one angel is bleeding to death and the other
muses that if he had known it possible he would have been more careful in the past.

>B. But I don't see any evidence that the dream-travelers /need/
>sustenance from _any_ apparent source. As you say they don't eat.

Not sure if you caught it earlier, but I think there is some relationship between this
stuff and Barbatus' explanation that eidolons need to eat, breathe etc. to replace their
unstable matter with stable, self-sustaining matter allowing it to become real.

>In fact, I suspect that is the case for the Neighbors. I believe that
>the corporeal bodies of the Neighbors are tree-like. Not that every tree
>on Blue needs to be a Neighbor (although they might be in some sense).
>So they can sleep and remain in dream-travel as long as their astral
>bodies lived (assuming their astral life-span is shorter than their
>corporeal life span). If a Neighbor's astral body dies, his corporeal
>body can continue to live...even reproduce. But he has lost his
>Sentience, because the link to his soul has been lost.
>Seeing the Neighbors as a kind of Dryad further develops their nominal
>connection to fairies.

I think you are on a roll here James. (though I wonder if Tolkein's Ents and their
varied stages of consciousness/tree-ness was an influence)