(urth) First Exodus theory revised

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 08:50:37 PST 2011

On 2/14/2011 10:41 AM, Andrew Mason wrote:
> I don't think we do - but is there a reason to think it was different
> from Silk's time? If Pas had meant the chems to be slaves, why would
> that have changed?

The increasing scarcity of chems would conceivably cause this. Just as,
when the Black Death depleted the population of Europe, it doomed
feudalism since the serfs (slaves) gained the upper hand.
It does not appear that chems were recognized as People during Typhon's
time, based on statements by Kypris.

> By the way, what do people make of Sard, the pawnbroker? I believe
> 'sard' can mean a fish, but the most common meaning, which Wolfe must
> have been aware of, is a gem. Is this a chem running his own business?
> I don't think anything that's said actually rules this out - we are
> only told that_most_  civilian chems are servants.

Most chems work in manual labor because that is what they were designed
to do. Bios take advantage of that. But, among male chems who do not
serve a soldiers, they are not apparently employed primarily as domestic
servants--as female chems seem to have. Some work in fields. It is
possible that Sard was programmed for some sort of clerical use that
mapped to being a pawnbroker.

u+16b9