(urth) On dream travelers

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 05:12:41 PST 2011

>> From the scene in the library, we're pretty sure their name is "Wolfe."
>
> You're right, of course - the Woolf and the Wilhelm make it clear that
> the shelving must be alphabetic.
> I'm not crazy about "Jean", though - that is French for 'John' and is
> pronounced similarly.  Eugene seems to be the closest French name to
> Gene. I don't know if the French ever use Gene as a diminutive.

It has always seemed likely to me that "Gene" (if that is the ultimate
spelling) is an assimilation. Originally, the name was Jean. This seems
implied by the Aunt Jeanine's name, by the fact that all abo males are
named "John", and that twinnish, shared-dreams between VRT and Number
Five. Perhaps the English call him "Gene" because it looks like that the
way it is spelled.

u+16b9