(urth) On dream travelers

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 12:57:02 PST 2011

All good, Roy. Few additional things...

> Roy C. Lackey-
> The first of these is that spirit travel is exactly that; the spirit of the
> subject makes the journey, not the flesh.

A person in soul travel lighter but he still has mass. He is subject to
gravity. He also bleeds and receives harm. When the Rajan is climbing
the rock-face in RttW as inhumi are attacking he says:

"Here I am tempted to write that the cliff-top appeared suddenly above
me, for that was how it seemed to me. The truth, of course, was
considerably more prosaic--I [...] had climbed altogether about three
times the height of the tower, and so so had reached it. I do not
believe I could have done it in the body that lay sprawled on the floor
of Judge Hamer's sellaria. Fortunately, I did not have to; the weight I
lifted--clawing, sometimes, with bleeding fingers at the red
rock-face--although it felt real, was substantially less than my true
weight."
RttW, Chapter 9, Before My Trial

Secondly a person in soul travel is--from the perspective of other
humans--entirely human. Even an experience as intimate sex, his true
nature would not be detectable. Jahlee seduces men guards on Urth. When
she begins to try to seduce Hide, the Rajan says:

"Honesty compels me to tell you that Jahlee is not an inhuma at present.
She is a human being here, exactly as we are, and I believe for the same
reason. But if we return to our real whorl, and I believe that we will,
she will be again what she was before we came. "
IGJ page 319

> Roy C. Lackey-
> When Quetzal died on Horn's lander his body reverted to its natural inhumi
> shape, the reptilian horror that caused Moorgrass and Nettle to scream
> (EXODUS, 381).

"Returns to it's natural state" only from the perspective of humans. In
fact, they never really change. Inhumi wear make-up and costumes. The
rest of the ruse seems to be performed by something of a "glamour" such
as Gideon Chase used in "An Evil Guest". Krait presents this ability as
nothing more than a common, low-rent illusion. But his ability to come
off as human with only a shirt and pants, or the ability to hide even
his presence to selected people in attendance during a conversation with
the resurrected HORN suggests it is a more advanced ability than
that--although founded on similar principles. The inhumi cause others to
see them as they want to be seen as Krait explains:

"Krait nodded. "You said you thought he was an old man, and you were
angry because he had tricked you. You told me some trooper shot and
killed him." I nodded.
        "Did you see his corpse?" [...] Did he look like an old man
then?" [...] He didn't look like an old man anymore, did he? He couldn't
have."
        I shook my head.
        "What did he look like?"
        "He looked like you."
        When Krait said nothing, only transfixing me with his hypnotic
stare, I added, "He powdered his face, and painted it. Like a woman. We
found the powder and rouge in a pocket of his robe. So would I if I had
those things, just as I wear this shirt and these pants, which I took
from you. The eyes see what the mind expects, Horn. Babbie there, lying
still with a green twig in his mouth, could make you think he was a
bush, if you were expecting to see a bush."
"The young siren you call Seawrack doesn't see me the way you do.[...]
Knowing that, is it so hard for you to believe that at times she doesn't
hear me /at all/? [...]If she's listening, she hears you alone, Father.
Only the murmur of your voice. She probably thinks you're talking to
yourself, or to your hus."
~ OBW, Chapter 10, Seawrack's Ring

u+16b9