(urth) First Exodus theory revised

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 17:18:57 PST 2011

Marc Aramini wrote:

> A real quick point I wanted to make. Typhon is definitely, to Severian,
> a personal tempter, analagous to the devil. However, I think the ACT of
> creating a world so painstakingly gave Pas a real love for his creation,
> one similar to the Outsider's. So by pretending to be God, he came to
> care and love his creation. This is ultimately why, as far as the whorl
> is concerned, I think Pas' plan, "endorsed by the Outsider", is not one
> of violent take over (like, say producing an heir and then taking away
> his free-will) but one, like any parent, of benevolence and pride :
> "Look, at my great creation, my beautiful heir!" This is why I think
> Silk was meant to BE free, not a puppet of Typhon besides working in
> conjunction with his rather benevolent plan for his worshipers. Even
> sinners love those who love them, and this transformed Pas into
> something almost good.

I should again point out that regardless of Pas having been scanned from
Typhon, all he is is a computer program. Pas is Typhon's tool and in all
likelihood Typhon doesn't care one bit about Pas as long as Pas fulfills his
role. He should care more about his heir(s), who is/are (a) real person(s).
So Pas is there to serve Silk, not the opposite, and Silk is either a true
heir or a tenant (for Typhon, not Pas).