(urth) miles, jonas, and that sailor guy, and sea/interplanetary vessels

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Feb 9 21:39:35 PST 2011

On 2/9/2011 9:51 PM, David Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Lee Berman wrote:
>
>> Eckhart says:
>>
>>> "Tests for the devil and angel are as follows. Anything an angel does
>>> is done in the
>>> light, orderly and clearly and the soul rejoices in the amiable
>>> presence of an angel;
>>> also it is a sign to know him by that she is left with a sense of
>>> pleasure. In
>>> counterfeiting this, the devil makes it vague, confused, ambiguous,
>>> and the soul,
>>> affrighted at the haunting of the fiend, is restless and depressed
>>> and by this she may
>>> know it is the devil."
>>
>> So I don't know what to think. What do you think?
>
> So you think Gene Wolfe might be a devil??

I was thinking there might be some kind of doublethink to the undines.
The JACOB'S LADDER movie riffs on Eckhart:

"You ever read Meister Eckhardt? . . . Eckhardt saw hell, too. You know
what he said? He said the only thing that burns in Hell is the part of
you that won't let go of your life. Your memories, your attachments.
They burn 'em all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're
freeing your soul. . . . So the way he see's it, if you're frightened of
dying and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels,
freeing you from the earth."

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >