(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Feb 9 19:20:36 PST 2011

Exactly. That interpretation of "Neighbor" has been with me from my
first reading. But I don't have any idea what to do with it.

I tend to consider conclusions like these to be too literal and not
literary enough; that is, they try to make too much of references. For
all we know, we are to understand that the Neighbors went sideways when
they left.

But, borrowing from the parallel discussion of astral projection, it
seems an argument could be made that the Neighbors somehow co-opted the
Inhumi ability to astral project as humans, combined with time travel,
to go back to old Earth and become our gods.

On 2/9/2011 9:35 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> This quote, though, in my opinion, proves that the Neighbors have left
> through the Whorl, traveling back in Time all the way to Urth. Did
> they end up there? I'm not sure. Here is my point:
>
> The Neighbor says that the place they went "Some of you call [...]
> Neighbor Whorl."
> Well, other that right here, that term is never used from 'Nightside
> of the Long Sun' to 'Return to the Whorl". Who calls it that? I
> believe that Wolfe chose the term 'neighbor' deliberately as a synonym
> for "fairy". We know Wolfe is fully aware of this meaning because he
> has a character point it out in "An Evil Guest". Who calls it Neighbor
> Whorl? WE do. Only we call it Fairyland, that is, Faerie. Where the
> Neighbors ultimately ended up, I'm not sure. Perhaps in Urth's ancient
> pre-history.
>
> u+16b9

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110209-1, 02/09/2011
Tested on: 2/9/2011 10:20:36 PM