(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardianarticle

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 9 14:52:29 PST 2011

From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>
> On 2/9/2011 9:59 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> From: "Jeff Wilson" <jwilson at io.com>

>>> That's because tiny Cruithne is too small to influence Earth in a
>>> detectable way. Janus and Epimethius, however, are similar in mass and
>>> do their thing in four years.
>>
>> But their orbital period around Saturn is only 0.7 days... so those four
>> years are equivalent to about 2000 years on Blue!
>
> That may depend heavily on odd power functions, like the orbital period
> formula earlier; the dual orbit discovery was pre-internet (1978) so I'm
> having a devil of a time locating anything analytical about it.

I think it's going to be a general property of horshoe orbits that the
period between conjunctions will be very long compared to the orbital
period.  The reason being that the two objects are essentially in the same
orbit, albeit going a little faster or slower at times.  So their orbital
speeds cannot differ much, and can only catch up or fall behind over a
period of many orbits.

- Gerry Quinn