(urth) miles, jonas, and that sailor guy, and sea/interplanetary vessels

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Feb 9 13:19:49 PST 2011

--- On Wed, 2/9/11, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
> Subject: (urth) miles, jonas, and that sailor guy, and sea/interplanetary vessels
> To: urth at lists.urth.net
> Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 1:21 PM

> >I guess the weird ship of pandours the guy ran into was
> from the moon or something. Sev asks if they
> >are starved looking or big eyed. ? I dunno ?
>
> I'm pretty sure Severian asks about "starved-looking" etc.
> because he is wondering if there were Ascians
> on that ship. He asks because Ascians are supposed to be
> the slaves of Erebus and Abaia and the male
> and female voices below the water are meant to represent
> Abaia and undines.
>
> The ship itself probably represent Erebus, like the
> Naviscaput (I'm not so sure Abaia and Erebus are
> entirely separate beings). Erebus has an abode in the
> Antarctic and has "pale, cold warriors" at
> his command. The pandours on the ship would seem to
> represent these.

Do you actually think Erebus was sending a troopship of warriors up the Gyoll to Nessus? That had never seriously occurred to me, although it explains their eery presence.

It seems certain they would lose if they attacked the Citadel---or were they there in some way in support of Severian as Autarch?