(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardianarticle

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 9 04:26:55 PST 2011

I think horseshoes are a bit problematic.  If you look at Cruithne's orbit, its actual distance from Earth varies on a short scale with a period of one year.  Over a longer term, the average distance varies.  Since Cruithne's orbital period is one year, there's no room for meaningful six-year conjunctions.

Hence I'm inclined to prefer the simpler concept: Blue has a circular orbit similar to the Earth's, while Green has an elliptical orbit with a period 6/7 that of Blue.  Ignoring precession, this can give a conjunction every six years, while they are far apart the rest of the time.

As another possibility, we could imagine that there are dark stars of some kind (black holes or dense dark matter objects, for example) present in the system - these might induce interesting orbital motions in the hadronic planets.

- Gerry Quinn