(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardianarticle

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 10:08:54 PST 2011

--- On Tue, 2/8/11, Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

> > So...how DID Quetzal get aboard the Whorl????

This passage is important but it is contradictory, at the very end of RTTW:
p 384-395

""I was was thinking about the whorl you described ... about the whorl we visited ... We of the People ...." {says Juganu}
"the bird said "Not man.  People? Never! No Whorl," and I knew it was Scylla. "No there.  Good!  Bad things!"
Juganu sat up.  "We were there!  They brought us!  We're everywhere!"

Here, Scylla in Oreb says that there were no inhumi on old Urth, and Juganu says they were there, some "they" brought them.

The inhumi could have been in their liana like state, morbidly dead state, unable to breed in the insufficient warmth of Urth, but still lingering latently, and loaded on the whorl with other seeds or shrubbery.

In Calde of the Long Sun it tels how Quetzal's "parent tree" got planted in the whorl.

epiphany p 19 ""in order that she would climb his tree, Patera.  The man likewise.  Their story's not over becuase they haven't climbed down."

epiphany page 23 "the tamarind he had caused to be planted there twenty years perviously ... their parent tree, nourshed by his own efforts, was of more than sifficient size now, and a fount of joy to him: a sheltering presence, a memorial of home, the highraod to freedom ... even in this downpour the tree was safer, though he could fly."