(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardian article

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 08:46:53 PST 2011

It's worth noting that as far back as the 1970s Wolfe said that the only
significant market for Short Stories anymore was in the SF genre (you'd
have to include Fantasy and Horror in that category I think).  Certainly
this is true for stories that /experiment/ with the *art* of
storytelling. I just picked up the 'Swords & Dark Magic' anthology this
weekend and was reminded of the number and variety of anthologies in the
SF&F section each year--compared to those in the "Literary Fiction" section.

The high-schoolish, careful observances of labels and clubby borders is
a sign of an art in decay--as anyone who has closely observed the nature
of poetry publishing can tell you.

u+16b9

PS: As an aside, I recall someone who frequently writes for "genre"
while maintaining the respect of "literary" markets.  I recently read
Neil Gaiman's (ed.) "Stories" anthology and have decided that if I never
read another Joyce Carol Oats story, that will probably be just fine.