(urth) Merger

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 05:24:20 PST 2011

>Gerry Quinn: Imagine a book about our world in which the names 'God' and 'Satan' were
>used.  We would soon notice that these referred to different entities, at
>least according to the conceptions of the public at large.  Nothing like
>this is apparent in BotNS.

I never noticed a difference in previous readings. But then I wasn't looking for them.
I did notice the word "Demiurge" used in a similar context which I found to be a head-
scratcher. I think that would be a good future project- finding if Increate and
Pancreator are used in slightly different contexts in BotNS.

Somebody was suggesting the craziness of the idea that each Wolfean universe might
have a separate creator. But my sense of how things are put together in the Sun series
actually seems to suggest that very thing.

Just checked Wikipedia for "Manvantara" and found this:

>Each Manvantara is created and ruled by a specific Manu, who in turn is created by Brahma,
>the Creator himself. Manu creates the world, and all its species during that period of time,
>each Manvantara lasts the lifetime of a Manu, upon whose death, Brahma creates another Manu
>to continue the cycle of Creation or Shristi....

>....After that the creator, Brahma starts his cycle of creation all over again, in an endless cycle
>of creation followed by Destruction for which Shiva, Hindu God of destruction, and also renewal,
>is invoked towards the end of each such cycle [5].

Of course Wolfe could have borrowed the word "manvantara" without meaning it to hold much of the
Hindu meaning of the word. But having independently come to the conclusion that Briah has a separate
demiurge that created it, distinct from our own universe, I find it difficult to dismiss the
congruence. I can see Brahma=Increate and Manu=demiurge in BotNS.

Not sure if "Pancreator" works better for Brahma or the Manu of a particular universe. Perhaps that
future project will shed light on that.