(urth) Merger

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 00:20:48 PST 2011

>James Wynn- Hmmm...that's interesting. Is it understood among Jews that YHWH is a
>Hebrew form of Jove?

My religious education ended around the time I was 14. I suspect serious students of
judaism eventually get into the mysticism of the name YHWH. As mentioned, that word
was never, ever once brought up in my religious education. I might have asked once why
"Our Lord" was rendered as an unprounceable two letters and was told "just say 'Adonai'.
So I did. From then on I questioned it as much as I questioned what "allegiance" means
in our USA Pledge of Allegiance.

A basic tenet of Judaism (as I think Jeff alludes to) is that Jews were the first to
recognize God and monotheism and are his chosen people. There is no way in heck younger
jews are going to be made aware that there might be parallel or even earlier recognitions
of the one true God by other peoples.

>"Increate" means "not created". "Pancreator" means "creator of all". It
>seems logically inconsistent that these could be separate persons.

Well, I am only a novice in these areas, but my understanding among those who believe in
separate beings is that God/Increate is a being of pure spirit while the Demiurge created
all the material things we see. Maybe God created the raw material but the demiurge shaped
it? I dunno. The Dionysus concept appears earlier than the Greek pantheon and then after it
and has persisted in minority form ever since. I know there are pagan sorts who believe he
will ascend to his foremost place  again after this temporary Apollonian, paternalistic phase
of Judeo-Christian-Muslim dominance has faded. (connecting Jahweh with Jove/Jupiter/Zeus as
a once again temporary Father god who will fade before the more balanced lord of opposites,
male/female dark/light Dionysus, Great God Pan, whatever.

Wolfe uses the terms Increate, Pancreator AND Demiurge in BotNS. I can understand why modern
Christians would assume these are meant to be exactly the same thing but I can't be sure of that.
He has said his Christian beliefs are not exactly traditional. He has said he has some belief that
the gods of mythology are real in some sense. He has said he wanted to explore what the world would
be like if there was no Jesus. Putting these together, I get the sense that Briah is a place with no
Jesus..well, no Christ anyway. So it retains some of the problems and fantastically interesting story
possibilities of our own pre-Christian earth.