(urth) Merger

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Feb 1 21:44:06 PST 2011

Andrew Mason wrote:

>It would be odd to use 'God' as a _name_ for the creator in a world
where it is assumed (at least in popular religion) that there are many
gods. The Outsider is called 'the God of gods', and both Silk and
Severian claim that there is only one real God. <

------------------

Said Severian to BF&O, in the tomb of Apu-Punchau:

"Once I believed you three were gods, and then that the Hierarchs were still
greater gods. So the autochthons believed me a god, and feared I would
plunge into the western sea leaving them in night with winter always. But
only the Increate is God, kindling reality and blowing it out. All the rest
of us, even Tzadkiel, can only wield the forces he's created." (URTH, 353)

Barbatus to Severian:

"A moment since we spoke of him who makes. Among your folk the simple call
him God, and you, the lettered, name him Increate." (355)

-Roy