(urth) (no subject)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Feb 15 18:15:56 PST 2011

On 2/15/2011 8:44 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> >David Stockhoff- You mean Typhon is one of those blond jock heroes we love to hate even
>> >though they are really decent enough, and Severian is a chainsmoking
>> >goth in black, the kind of rebel/antihero we love to love? I seem to
>> >recall Lancelot being like that. I think Wolfe has touched on that theme
>> >elsewhere.
>
> LMAO David. But perhaps startlingly on the mark. (Sir Mordred as the Goth in Arthurian legend?)

Possibly, but he was actually almost bad. There was also a fool ...

There are at least two kinds of heroes, after all---those who succeed vs
those who fail, of course, but also those who represent the best of
their kind vs those who ... represent the worst, and who succeed despite
themselves---despite trying to drink themselves to death or tearing
apart a kingdom. The untroubled vs the troubled.

Severian is sometimes as plain an antihero as can be. (I recall at some
point a few years ago Elric and Stormbringer came up as a rough
comparison, and I still think that is a valid pairing. Following the
scheme developed by Moorcock, Severian is perhaps best described as
Lawful Evil in alignment, moving to Lawful Good.)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110215-1, 02/15/2011
Tested on: 2/15/2011 9:15:57 PM