(urth) On dream travelers

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Feb 13 12:53:01 PST 2011

From: "Adam Thornton" <adam at io.com>
> On Feb 13, 2011, at 2:00 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote
>> From: "Marc Aramini" <marcaramini at yahoo.com>
>>
>>> Number Five's name is Gene Wolfe ...
>>
>> I doubt it... though perhaps it is Eugene Loup ;-)
>>
>> The family is of French origin. The head of the family is referred to as
>> Maitre, and while the name David could be English or French, Jeannine is
>> certainly French.  We must assume Number Five's name is French also, and
>> 'Gene Wolfe' is not very French.
>
> From the scene in the library, we're pretty sure their name is "Wolfe."

You're right, of course - the Woolf and the Wilhelm make it clear that the
shelving must be alphabetic.

I'm not crazy about "Jean", though - that is French for 'John' and is
pronounced similarly.  Eugene seems to be the closest French name to Gene.
I don't know if the French ever use Gene as a diminutive.

- Gerry Quinn