(urth) Wolfe and Materialism

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Feb 13 07:53:38 PST 2011

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>Gerry QUinn:

>>Certainly in such cases we can use allusive hints to determine *which*
>>'nuts and bolts' explanation best fits the story.  But it does not alter
>>the fact
>>that we can never validly use them as substitutes for such explanations.
>>At
>>least in books that can usefully be analysed, which is what I meant by
>>"written to be understood".  I did not mean by it that every last detail
>>is
>>explained.
>
> Gerry who told you that all works of art must have a "nuts and bolts"
> meaning which
> supersedes all allegorical meanings? Seriously, I am having trouble
> understanding where
> this idea is coming from. I actually think Ireland has produced some of
> the most notable
> authors for whom one must essentially ignore the nuts and bolts meaning of
> the text to be
> able to discern the true meaning.

Well, now you see the source of my ill-humour. I am surrounded by fey folks
dancing around talking about their conversations with fairies, and all I can
do it sit in a corner scowling over a pint of Guinness and muttering that
the gods of materialism will soon come to sweep all this nonsense away ;-)

Did I say all works of art?  I think I confined by theory to "books that can
usefully be analysed"!  Whether you want to include Finnegans Wake in this
category isn't of great moment to me.  What Wolfe writes isn't Finnegans
Wake.  Also, I most emphatically did *not* say "supersedes".  Once again you
are putting words in my mouth.  I said that allusions, allegorical means
etc. are not *substitutes* for the functions performed by nuts and bolts
meanings. Allusive interpretations are important but they have their own
function to perform; to put them in the place of  physical interpretations
is simply a category error.  Particularly in science fiction / science
fantasy novels.

Imagine we find a passage in BotLS in which Silk dreams that the Whorl is a
walnut.  I don't know of such a passage, but it's not a particularly
implausible concept.  Perhaps we see signs that this motif is important; for
example it is repeated elsewhere.  We can easily find "meanings" for this -
the Whorl is a small shell floating in infinite space (something Wolfe has
in fact conveyed by some other means).  We might or might not find our
reading experienced enhanced by some reference to Hamlet.  But they are
still allusions, not nuts and bolts explanations of anything.

Now suppose somebody starts reading too much into the walnut allegory -
starts making that category error I was talking about.  Suddenly there's a
long thread in which people are insisting that the Whorl really is a walnut.
Somebody finds a mention of a walnut tree in BotNS, and suddenly there's no
stopping it.  If the walnut tree belongs to Father Inire it's a slam dunk,
but if not - hey, it could be Father Inire in disguisel.  People chime in on
all sides - the walnut, or some nut, was special to Dionysus or some other
Greek god.  Some woman in Viron is named after a plant related to the
walnut.  Silk is really half man, half walnut tree.  It's all rubbish,
because the Whorl is an asteroid, not a walnut.  The physical asteroid
explanation dominates the walnut explanation.  The walnut explanation simply
cannot validly substitute for the asteroid explanation.  That's what I mean
by saying that allusions cannot substitute for nuts and bolts explanations.
When they are made to do so, it leads to nonsense.

>>That could be valid in a universe in which the Outsider for some reason
>>chooses always to send visions by way of minor neurological catastrophes.
>>However I don't think we have any evidence to suppose this is the case in
>>BotLS.  If it isn't, Crane is wrong about both cause and event.
>
> You are missing the point. What you (and Dr. Crane) call a "minor
> neurological
> catastrophe" might be a major re-routing which leads to exponential new
> awareness and insight. Why do you feel compelled to choose one result or
> another
> when it can be both, simultaneously?

The point you're not getting is that Crane has not examined Silk's brain.
He is pointing out that mini-strokes in a certain area of the brain can
cause religious experiences.  He is postulating a cause for Silk's
experience, and he is (at least by my reading)  incorrect.  And unless the
Outsider always chooses to enlighten by way of such means (which is possible
but not demonstrated) he is wrong in his implicit prediction that if he were
to examine Silk's brain he would find evidence of a burst artery in the
correct location.

> (FWIW, I'm sure you are aware that the brain capacity for Neanderthals was
> greater than it is for
> modern H. sapiens. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes turning portions of
> the brain off can produce
> greater clarity than leaving them all on ;- ))

This is speculation on my part, but it may be that the influx of Neanderthal
genes is in part responsible for the variations in average brain size
between modern human populations, which correlate to some extent with
measures of intelligence.

There's no reason to believe that the larger brain size of Neanderthals was
a disadvantage to them; some factors must have brought about their
extinction, but large brains on the face of it are not the most probable.
Conversely, it may be that Homo sapiens found some way to improve the
efficiency of smaller brains, so we don't know which species was more
intelligent - even by Homo sapiens standards, which may be biased.

- Gerry Quinn