(urth) Wolfe and Materialism

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Feb 12 06:38:55 PST 2011

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>
>> Gerry Quinn-

>> I didn't say that at all.  What I'm saying is that a 'nuts and bolts'
>> explanation - the Ploughman's explanation, if you like - needs to be
>> there. Occasionally an author may throw a vagary and include events which
>> are deliberately contradictory or inexplicable - but in books written to
>> be understood, this tends to be rare.
>
> Now, do you believe it was really possible to come to an unequivocal
> conclusion from the four volumes of 'The Book of the New Sun' that
> "Severian would travel through time to become both the Conciliator and Apu
> Punchau, rather than being a reincarnation, avatar, or descendant. And
> that the world would drown with the coming of the New Sun"? Yes, after
> "UotNS" one can see that the clues were there. But would anyone have
> chosen those conclusions over all the other possibilities? Would those
> conclusions have passed the bar you have continuously set on this list
> that "books are written to be understood" and, therefore, I must feel that
> _I_ --with whatever background I carry to the book-- must be able to
> understand it. I submit regarding some important points of plot in The
> Book of the New Sun, this is self-evidently not the case.

Those are not events which are contradictory or inexplicable.  They are
events for which it is not clear which of two possibilities is the case - a
completely different situation.

Certainly in such cases we can use allusive hints to determine *which* 'nuts
and bolts' explanation best fits the story.  But it does not alter the fact
that we can never validly use them as substitutes for such explanations.  At
least in books that can usefully be analysed, which is what I meant by
"written to be understood".  I did not mean by it that every last detail is
explained.

- Gerry Quinn