(urth) On dream travelers

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Fri Feb 11 18:37:15 PST 2011

James Wynn wrote:
> All good, Roy. Few additional things...
>
> > Roy C. Lackey-
> > The first of these is that spirit travel is exactly that; the spirit of
the
> > subject makes the journey, not the flesh.
>
> A person in soul travel lighter but he still has mass. He is subject to
> gravity. He also bleeds and receives harm. When the Rajan is climbing
> the rock-face in RttW as inhumi are attacking he says:
>
> "Here I am tempted to write that the cliff-top appeared suddenly above
> me, for that was how it seemed to me. The truth, of course, was
> considerably more prosaic--I [...] had climbed altogether about three
> times the height of the tower, and so so had reached it. I do not
> believe I could have done it in the body that lay sprawled on the floor
> of Judge Hamer's sellaria. Fortunately, I did not have to; the weight I
> lifted--clawing, sometimes, with bleeding fingers at the red
> rock-face--although it felt real, was substantially less than my true
> weight."
> RttW, Chapter 9, Before My Trial

Yes, the bodies of dream travelers have weight and seem to otherwise behave
as if they were real, but they are not real. Remember the part about no
digestive tracts. Rigoglio's spirit-travel body received a mortal wound on
Urth, but there was not a mark on his real body back on Blue. I dare say an
autopsy of Rigoglio's spirit body would have revealed anomalies as glaring
as the lack of a digestive tract, to say the least, if that body even
continued to exist after Silkhorn left.

> Secondly a person in soul travel is--from the perspective of other
> humans--entirely human. Even an experience as intimate sex, his true
> nature would not be detectable. Jahlee seduces men guards on Urth. When
> she begins to try to seduce Hide, the Rajan says:
>
> "Honesty compels me to tell you that Jahlee is not an inhuma at present.
> She is a human being here, exactly as we are, and I believe for the same
> reason. But if we return to our real whorl, and I believe that we will,
> she will be again what she was before we came. "
> IGJ page 319

Not even from the perspective of other people are spirit travelers entirely
human; humans can't walk through locked metal doors like Jahlee did in the
Matachin tower, as I cited, and both Merryn and Severian saw her do it.

What has any of that to do with what I wrote? I wrote:

>When Quetzal died on Horn's lander his body reverted to its natural inhumi
shape, the reptilian horror that caused Moorgrass and Nettle to scream
(EXODUS, 381). This demonstrates that Quetzal did not get to the LSW by way
of spirit travel; his body was his real body, not a spirit-travel body.<

That stands. Quetzal was an inhumu who tried to pass for human. That is why
he drank only beef tea in the presence of humans and used makeup. Like Krait
and Jahlee and Fava, he could fly (CALDE, chap. 1, 25). Inhumi during spirit
travel could no more fly than Silkhorn or Hide or Fava (IGJ, 197). Inhumi
during spirit travel do not have fangs. Quetzal had fangs and used them on
Teasel.

In their natural state, inhumi are described as reptilian and as looking
something like bats when they take wing, which is exactly what Krait hastily
did when he was charged by Babbie soon after getting Horn out of the pit
(OBW, 214). As Krait was dying on Green and could no longer keep up his
human guise, his face looked like that of a "serpent" (IGJ, 82). When both
Quetzal and Krait were wounded, they would let no one look at or treat their
wounds because their true reptilian bodies could not be hidden.

By no stretch was Quetzal's body that of a spirit traveler. Had it been, he
would have had no need of the makeup. He would have been as human as Juganu
or Jahlee.

-Roy