(urth) First Exodus theory revised

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 05:40:32 PST 2011

>Gerry Quinn: I really don't agree with this.  He has a dream or waking dream in which
>images of various women run together (I think women he associates with sex
>or sexuality).  In this dream he also sees the Outsider as a wooden toy, and
>a polished tabletop as the sea.  I don't think there's any reason to take it
>literally that all the women in his dream are the same woman, any more than
>that the Outsider is a wooden toy.

I can see why Marc has trouble with your theory Gerry. As a self-acknowledged mystery
writer, Gene Wolfe has a special place in his work for dream sequences and
stories/myths/legends. I can't see him using a dream sequence to reveal something as
banal as the fact that Silk is a man and has had sexual thoughts about various women.
We already knew that. The dream must be there to tell us things we don't know.

I find pointed significance in the metaphors of the wooden toy Outsider and the tabletop
sea which presage revelations in Short Sun and hearken back to mysteries in BotNS. I
would expect revelations of similar importance with regard to the women in the dream. I
think similar importance can be found in all Wolfean dreams, legends and stories.