(urth) Bloodsport

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:54:24 PST 2011

> Marc Aramini wrote-
> I guess what I see as inscrutable is the relationship between the game and the reality.  Is there a "real" society outside the allegory of the game?
> Because its pretty harsh to just kill your allies, and works symbolically and metaphorically but not realistically.  What is the point of the game?  Real power?  Entertainment?

I understood it as a gladiatorial sport. It seems to have had a
ritualistic element. Each space on the "board" represented actual
mountains. So once again, there is a Roman theme---in that Rome was
originally multiple city-states atop seven mountains. So in some sense,
the games are played as a representation of the larger society.

The rules for being selected for the games are not explained, except
that you cannot refuse if you are selected. I'm sure there is a society
in which the games take place. Valorius had a life before the game. His
father was a mage which seems to be a cast outside of the game because
it is believed they bio-engineer the pawns. Even though WE recognize
that when Lurn queens herself that is a chess analogy, we have no
evidence that that is part of the game they were trained to play.
Certainly Valorious did not see it coming. So presumably rules regarding
the making of royalty are outside the bounds of the game (although it is
possible that traditions in the larger society are represented in the game).

u+16b9