(urth) First Exodus theory revised

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Feb 10 10:37:05 PST 2011

  From: Marc Aramini

        A real quick point I wanted to make.  Typhon is definitely, to Severian, a personal tempter, analagous to the devil.  However, I think the ACT of creating a world so painstakingly gave Pas a real love for his creation, one similar to the Outsider's.  So by pretending to be God, he came to care and love his creation.  This is ultimately why, as far as the whorl is concerned, I think Pas' plan, "endorsed by the Outsider", is not one of violent take over (like, say producing an heir and then taking away his free-will) but one, like any parent, of benevolence and pride : "Look, at my great creation, my beautiful heir!" This is why I think Silk was meant to BE free, not a puppet of Typhon besides working in conjunction with his rather benevolent plan for his worshipers.  Even sinners love those who love them, and this transformed Pas intosomething almost good.

I agree - Pas (like Kypris) has become a somewhat legitimate god.  [Whether we should make anything of his death and resurrection I don't know...]

The Outsider's endorsement of the Plan of Pas need not make it wholly benevolent, of course.  Like humanity on Urth, the inhabitants of the Whorl do not need peace and justice so much as they need a new sun.

But I don't think Pas intended ill for his children.  Nor yet for any biological child of his (if Silk is that, a theory I do not find necessary).

- Gerry Quinn