(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Feb 10 07:28:56 PST 2011

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>

> I get what you mean about allusions, heaven knows. But I think this is
> different. We know the Neighbors left for some actual place, and the
> Neighbor says the _some_ of humanity call it "Neighbor Whorl". But the
> humanity he is talking about is not the humanity on the Short Sun whorls.
> Assuming "Neighbor Whorl" means "Faeri", the Neighbor has to be talking
> about people of Western France to Ireland 1000-2000 years ago.
>
> It doesn't feel like an allusion. An allusion in my mind is Quetzal as a
> demon-Dionysus on the Whorl ship. This statement by the Neighbor seems to
> be a statement of fact.

I don't believe "Neighbour Whorl" means Faerie.  The words themselves don't
really carry any strong weight.  After all, one obvious interpretation is
that it just means "the whorl where the neighbours live" just as the "Human
Whorl" could mean Urth.  And it's not at all obvious that he is referring to
huimanity in general (on Urth and the many other colonised planets) rather
than humanity on the Short Sun whorls.

I do get the impression that they have moved to another dimension rather
than another star.  Silkhorn gives us no indication, however, as he tosses
out both possibilities at different times.  At one time he suggests a whorl
circling another short sun, at another he says "the place beyond this
place".

My main reasons for thinking it is not Faerie:

1. Why should it be a particular mythological dimension on distant a
unrelated planet, a mythological dimension that is not mentioned anywhere in
the Solar Cycle?

2. The Vanished People don't have major characteristics in common with fairy
folk.  [Now somebody is going to come up with some obscure four-legged
Croatian river demon and argue that this is what Wolfe was talking about...]

They went somewhere; we don't know where.  If Wolfe wanted to tell us where,
he would have.

- Gerry Quinn