(urth) First Exodus

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 9 17:00:24 PST 2011

Scouts that don't come back aren't very good scouts!  Besides, if Quetzal came back, the landers must have brought him.

Silk as Typhon's son seems more feasible than Silk as Typhon's clone, at least from the recognition point of view.  But why would Typhon send an embryo of his son to occupy himself?

Why not another Piaton, if that's what he plans to do?

- Gerry Quinn

  -
  From: Ashley Crill

  > I haven't seen that theory before. The main difficulty, as I would see it, is that nobody remembers such a first exodus. Not the Councillors, not the Crew. Nobody knows Green is dangerous and Blue is the place to go.
  >
  > As for Silk being a clone of Typhon, James is fond of that theory, but it has a major problem in that nobody familiar with both of them mentions any resemblance! Not Kypris, Echidna or Scylla. Not Mamelta or Rigoglio. Not the Crew (whom I'd expect to have much better historical data). There's also this guy with a perfect memory who meets Silk first and Typhon later, and he notices nothing either!
  >
  > Also there's the problem that Tussah is alleged to have paid a large sum for Silk's embryo. However you get hold of a Typhon clone, I'm pretty sure you don't just buy it.
  >
  > - Gerry Quinn

  There are a few possible reasons why nobody would remember a first Exodus:

  - It could have been launched from other cities in the Whorl, not from Viron.
  - it could have been launched from Viron, and the Calde knew about it but the general population was unaware.
  - It could have been a small scouting party.
  - It could have been launched from Mainframe, with representatives from different cities including Viron.

  As far as learning that Green is dangerous and Blue is good, nobody on the whorl would have learned that because the landers refuse to return while people are on board. If a scouting party was launched, nobody would have known their fate.

  A thought just occurred to me - Perhaps the real Patera Quetzal was sent as the Chapter's representative on such a mission. An inhumi on Green could have learned to imitate him (downloaded his digital persona via blood) and then returned to the Whorl as the only 'survivor' from the scouting party.

  The councillors and His Cognizance are aware that Pas is dead. Perhaps they kept knowledge of a scouting mission secret because they feared retribution by Echidna and her brood.

  I'm not sure if The Crew were aware of any prior launches to Blue/Green or not. I can't remember evidence for or against it.

  Also, I don't think that Silk is a clone at all. He is Typhon's son. Tussah probably bought embryo from black market traders who had ransacked the embryo chambers in the tunnels. Perhaps he even paid them to go down and do the ransacking. Perhaps the 'large sum' that he supposedly paid for the embryo was actual a batch of cards used to repair a lander.