(urth) Miles, Jonas and that sailor guy

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 9 15:40:35 PST 2011

Jeff Wilson wrote:

> Where does Severian retrieve Jonas' spirit from? Does the tin-drover
> body fall over dead in some distant galaxy when he does this?

It's part of Severian's theory that the mirrors are _not_, as he first
thought, simply space-travel devices. So if Miles is Jonas - which I'm
not sure about - he presumably never was in a distant galaxy. (I'm not
sure where he was, as Severian doesn't elaborate.)

In any case, in the light of _Long Sun_, it seems that in that
universe a spirit can be in two places at once - Typhon both on the
Whorl and on Urth, Silk both in Mainframe and in his body. (Once the
separation has taken place, they may really be two spirits, but they
have the same origin.)