(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:17:09 PST 2011

> We are told [the Neighbors] boarded the Whorl. We are told they
> infected the humans with inhumi.  We know there were inhumi on the
> Whorl.  It is reasonable to assume they carried out the infection when
> they boarded the Whorl.

Except that it is difficult to imagine--based on the information
available-- how they would do that. On the other hand, it is easy to see
how they could have done it by infecting humans on Green--based on the
information available.

>> All they need to do is to influence some portion of humanity to make
>> an expedition to Green and ensure some of them are fed on by inhumi.
>> From a technical perspective, that's a much simpler operation.
>
> You're forgetting that they would still have to get the resulting
> inhumi onto the Whorl.  Also, the time scale doesn't seem to work.
> Windcloud said he boarded the Whorl before it arrived in their system,
> which fits a lot better with the apparent length of time Quetzal was
> in Viron.

IIRC he said "your whorl when it neared our sun".  It is not necessary
assume this is "before it arrived in orbit".
I don't see why this works better for Quetzal's timeline. They have been
in orbit for around 40 years. Quetzal has been Prolocuter for sometime
less than that. The presumption that Quetzal entered the Chapter
pretending to be a young man and aged as he advanced seems contrary to
our experience of them on Blue. Quetzal boarded the Whorl the same way
inhumi assaulted Blue. He pretended to be an old man and was put in
place by a human in power whom he had tamed--whether or not the human
knew he was an inhumi is debatable. In the cases of our examples of
human pets on Blue and Green, the inhumi's pets knew about them.

Still, it is not a problem for the Time-traveling Neighbors to have had
plenty of contact with humanity on the Whorl and on Urth _before_ the
ship arrived at the system.

> There's no record of such an expedition,

But we _do_ have evidence of human landers with return capability. We
don't have that for Neighbors in contemporary times.

After having extrapolated a complex assault on the Whorl by the
Neighbors in unobserved spaceships and a complex operation involving
releasing and recapturing of wild inhumi on the Whorl, one cannot insist
on explicit citations.

> and no indication that Quetzal in particular was brought back from one.

Quetzal did not need a lander to get to the Whorl.

>   And how would they influence people to do this anyway?

How did an inhumi influence the resurrected HORN--who hated the
inhumi--to pass him off as his son? How did the inhumi on Green
influence humans to passionately work for them on Green? Getting humans
to send an expedition to Green is not hard to imagine. Why are you
making me answer questions for which you already know the answer?

> How would they even get to the Whorl to influence them, without having
> travelled there physically?

Quetzal's irrelevant. He doesn't need a lander to get on the Whorl.
However, he would probably have needed to be encouraged to make the
attempt. He had a mission: to establish a thriving human colony on Green.

> We have no indication that dream travel can be used to make a permant
> relocation, or that dream travellers can bear children to colonise a
> new planet.

Just because they have cities on Green, does not require that they have
their children there. If Green is only a dream away, why bother? Of
course, some Neighbors had a method to physically travel to Green
initially. But there is simply no evidence that that capability still
exists.

> Silkhorn knows all about it, and he reckons they used spaceships.

Once upon a time. And if he "knows all about it" and needs to "reckon
they used spaceships" then they don't have spaceships now.

> Also, you say yourself here that humans cannot leave their bodies
> behind for long periods  - why would you expect that Neighbours could?

Ummm....because they aren't human?

u+16b9